By Rick Stein (www.delicious.com.au)
PREP TIME: 10MINS
COOK TIME: -
- 250g cooked and peeled beetroot
- 175g coarse sea salt
- 1/2 cup (110g) caster sugar
- 3 tsp caraway seeds, crushed
- 3 tsp white peppercorns, crushed
- 1kg salmon fillet (skin on), pin-boned
- Lavosh and micro rocket, to serve
CUCUMBER AND APPLE SALAD
- 2 green apples, cut into batons
- 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
- 1 telegraph cucumber, thinly sliced
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp horseradish paste
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1/4 bunch dill, fronds picked
1. To make the curing mixture, whiz the beetroot, salt, sugar, caraway seeds and pepper in a food processor until smooth.
2. Spread half the curing mixture over the base of a glass or ceramic dish large enough to hold salmon. Add the salmon, skin-side down, and cover with remaining curing mixture. Cover with plastic wrap, then rest a smaller tray or chopping board on top of the salmon and weigh down with a few cans. Chill for 2 days to cure.
3. For the salad, place all ingredients in a bowl and toss to combine.
4 . When ready to serve, remove salmon from dish, rinse under cold water and pat dry with paper towel. Using a sharp knife, thinly slice salmon on an angle, using the knife to release salmon from the skin.
5. Arrange salmon on a platter and serve with salad, lavosh and micro rocket.